As a congregation within the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, Saints Peter and Paul Lutheran Church teaches and responds to the love of the Triune God. The three persons of the Trinity are coequal and coeternal, one God:
the Father, creator of all that exists
the Son, Jesus Christ, who became human to suffer and die for the sins of all human beings and to rise to life again in the ultimate victory over death and Satan
the Holy Spirit, who creates faith through God's Word and Sacraments
We are a vibrant and growing family of God, a community of believers that is truly and fully Alive in Christ. Our mission is to strive constantly toward that vision - through worship; through our relationships with one another in study, service, and common interest groups; and through our lives in the community.
Pastor Aaron Gehrke was called to Saints Peter and Paul in July 2010. He is a 2010 graduate of Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, MO, and 2006 graduate of Concordia University in St. Paul, MN. He is married to Abby and they are proud parents of their children Hazel, Max, and Phoebe. They also have a black lab named Bauer. He enjoys playing all kinds of sports and musical instruments. Pastor Gehrke and Abby also love the great outdoors: skiing, snowshoeing, hiking, fishing and so many other activities. firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for the staff directory
Our congregation had its beginnings in the mid-1800’s during the mining boom that gave the Copper Country its name. Lutheran immigrants, distressed by the lack of properly called, trained, and ordained ministers, wrote to Dr. C.F.W. Walther, president of the Missouri Synod, requesting a pastor. Eventually, in response to this request, Rev. I.E. Wuebben arrived in Houghton in 1866. In January of 1867 the first Lutheran congregation in the Copper Country [and probably in the whole of Michigan's Upper Peninsula] was formed under the name "German Evangelical Lutheran Peter and Paul's Congregation at Hancock."
Our Board of Directors.
Our congregation is governed by a Board of Directors, made up of seven members, who serve three year terms. They govern the organization through a structural model called Aligned Governance and Operations. Click here for the current list of members serving on the Board of Directors.
The three flames in our logo symbolize the Trinity, all three parts working together to refine us. When we are refined in Christ, our rough edges become smooth no matter how tattered they were before we met Him. The gradient to the flames symbolizes the different hues in copper. The bottom is green, which is a color metal can take on when it's very hot and also the color copper takes on after it's been worn. There is a geometric pattern to the flames, almost like stained glass. This is inspired by the history of our church. We are a forward-thinking congregation, with modern construction, yet with ties to a long past in a town with a lot of history.